• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Reporting J codes for podiatry

ELWOOD18

Contributor
Best answers
I have been trying to find the guideline for coding J codes for our office. How do I code an injection for Dexamethasone sodium phosphate; (J1100) and Lidocaine (which needs to be generic)> How to be sure I have the correct generic code for this drug.
Then do I report both codes if they are injected in one shot?

I Injected 1 cc of 2:1 Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate 4mg/ml and 2% pl Lidocaine to the Subtalar joint right This is injection number 1 in the series. This injection is diagnostic. Pending his response to this injection will solidify the subtalar joint pathology.

Thank you!!

syllingk

Expert
Best answers
Should be some guidance in your HCPCS book. I don't think you can bill the lidocaine. The code says it is for 1mg, so ask your nurse or doctor how many mg of the drug are in a cc (this varies per drug) and then you take how much of a cc of the drug was given. if there is 4 mg in a cc of it and gave one cc then it would be four units of the J code. hope that helps