Resume help

knicho

New
Best answers
Hi, I passed my CPC exam in January and now searching for jobs. I updated my resume with my certification info. However, is there anything else I can do to spruce it up? I removed my contact info from the header just for privacy. Thank you!

Attachments

• Nicholson_resumeforum.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 10

csperoni

True Blue
Best answers
I don't know about others who make hiring decisions, but for me, a great coverletter goes a long way. In fact, perhaps a few different coverletters customized to the positions you are applying for. Particularly for someone who recently completed certification or education. It's difficult to assess the overall look/format of your resume since it's in txt format, but nothing jumped out as an issue. Maybe just clarify your most recent position since it seems medical related. I will note that many, many, many others have the issue that most coding positions require experience. While you should seek your ideal coding position, also be open to working in a different position at a company that also employs coders with the goal of moving to a coding position.

Pam Brooks

True Blue
Local Chapter Officer
NAB Member
Best answers
I recommend that instead of listing your duties at each job, provide a summary of your key accomplishments in each role you had. For example, as a Starbucks barrista, "provided excellent customer service and suggestive sales in a fast-paced environment, exceeding $$ in sales on average annually...or somthing like that. Also, take a look at a job description for a coding position you think you might like to have, and see if there are any atributes that they're looking for that you may be able to include in your resume (or more likely, your cover letter).

I viewed this as a text document, and I'm not sure that's how you intended. Re-do it in Word, use either Tahoma, Times New Roman, Verdana or another standard font, 12 point, although you can mix it up with your heading. I couldn't see your heading, but add the hyperlink to your LinkedIn profile.

Make a few changes, and send it to me in Word or .pdf to Pamela.Brooks@aapcnab.com and I'll provide more feedback if you'd like.

knicho

New
Best answers
Thank you both for your feedback. I edited my first post to include my resume with formatting.

csperoni

True Blue
Best answers
I really like Pam's suggestion about accomplishments rather than duties. I'm fine with a 2 page resume. I know I have heard recommendations to keep it 1 page (particularly since your previous experience is not coding or healthcare related). Sometimes adjusting margins or formats can help with that without leaving out information. Like putting the dates in another column on the same row rather than another row.
What I always advise is that your coverletter and resume does not get you the job. They get you an interview. You then need to use your interview time to demonstrate you'd be a great employee.
Good luck!!