• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

School physical and problem visit on same day

JCampbell

Guru
Best answers
Can anyone tell me how they would bill if a patient came in for a school physical and problem visit on the same day?

Thanks!

Stefanie

Networker
Best answers
I would bill a Preventive Medicine Service code (99394) w a modifier 52, dx V70.3 with a reduced price and an appropriate E/M code w modifier 25 w prob. dx code.

I have heard many different ways to bill for Sports Physicals, I am not sure there are any concrete answers.

If there are, please let me know where to find them. This is an issue that comes up a lot through the year.

sbicknell

Best answers
Code the school physical as a preventive 9938x-9939x with DX V70.3 and code the problem as 9921x with mod -25 and the appropriate DX

I have not heard of using a mod -52 on the preventive E&M

The school physical is coded as a preventive only if preventive guidelines are met meaning with ROS, PFSH, appropriate level of exam, counseling etc. If not, then the school exam is coded as a 99201-99215 which means the school exam and the problem will all go under one E&M code

While a Comprehensive preventive is not the same as Comprehensive exam (see preventive section in CPT) and is supposed to be "as determined by the physician", it is expected that the preventive be comprehensive. So a preventive with no ROS with a 4 bullet exam just doesn't meet that. Payers can not downcode your preventive to a 99201-99215 but they can deny the preventive as "not meeting preventive guidelines" if the note/exam is so limited

Last edited: