Wiki Screening Mammograms Leading to Breast Ultrasound

Best answers
Hi everyone,

In our IDTF, we perform digital mammograms. There are times when these lead to additional films, or a diagnostic mammogram on the same day, or the next. Right now I'm needing to find written documentation indicating whether the radiologist can order a breast ultrasound, after abnormal mammogram findings, without a written order from the patient's provider. I'm telling the IDTF no, however I don't want to stop them if I'm incorrect in my answer. Anyone able to direct me to information other than Medicare mammogram guidelines or ACR mammogram guidelines?

Thanks,

Kris

Thanks! I have been there. Even BCBSM can't give a direct answer. As the imaging center is registered an IDTF with Medicare, my company has to be very specific about our policies.

The interpretation I ended up coming up with for 'additional images' was to mean of the same type as originally ordered and there must be an order in place prior to performing a breast ultrasound. Also, that if on the order form there is an area for an ordering provider to check off that if the digital mammogram shows "____" (whatever the radiologists determine the x factor to be in these cases, and it should be standard), then it would be ok to proceed with a breast ultrasound at the same date and time.

Thanks again for being so thoughtful to provide a link.

Kris