Wiki Shoulder question

kdahlen

Best answers
Our doc did a distal clavicle excision of the shoulder via scope 29824 and an ossicle excision open wants to bill this seperate was hoping for some help with a code.

OP report :Hypertrophic OA of the distal clavicle was encountered. Through a
sperate naterior portal i brought in motorized instrumentation to debride the joint and remove the lateral 9 to 10 mm of claivle while preserving the joint capsule. there was a seperate ossicle in the posterior/superior distal clavicle that I was not able to debride with the arthroscope but i felt warrented open excision superiorly. This was preformed after rotator cuff repair. A small 1.5 cm skin incision was made over the dorsal aspect of the distal clavicle and dissection carried down through the dorsal AC joint capsule to excise this seperate bony ossicle which was not obtainable arthroscopically.

Thanks
Kathy

this appears to be a "arthroscopic convert to open procedure". Only the open portion of the procedure would be codeable per CPT.

certainly if the RCT was done through the scope that would be the 29827.

My previous response was directed to just the clavicular portion of the procedure. As far as the distal clavicle goes, that procedure was converted to open so you wouldnt be able to report the scope code in addition to the open code, only the open 23120.

certainly if the RCT was done through the scope that would be the 29827.

My previous response was directed to just the clavicular portion of the procedure. As far as the distal clavicle goes, that procedure was converted to open so you wouldnt be able to report the scope code in addition to the open code, only the open 23120.
Gotcha, that's what I thought...;)