Worxs43

Networker
Best answers
Hello,
Quick question regarding skin tags and excisions. A patient has come into the office to have a intermittent bleed skin tag removed due to clothing catching.
The provider removed skin tag by excision and sent for biopsy. Unfortunately where I'm having trouble is the provider stated due to the skin tag going for biopsy it is to be coded as 11400 which I feel should be 11200. From what I can see the skin tag is epidermal not through the dermis, the provider did not take a piece of the tag for biopsy the whole tag was removed, and removal method can be any method for 11200. Don't think because a skin tag is sent for biopsy it would be considered an excision right?

Worxs43

Networker
Best answers
If there wasn't an incision into the skin proper but just a tag snipped or cut off I can't that qualifying for a higher code either.
Good Evening,
Thank you for your response. Yes I was looking over the cpt codes trying to understand but I kept coming back to 11200 so I thought I'd reach out to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. Thank you again.