Wiki Smoking Cessation Code

dzanoni

Best answers
One of my doctors said he was told by a cardiologist that there are a couple of add on CPT codes for smoking cessation. Has anyone heard of that and if so what might they be? Sure would appreciate any input on this. My doctor is a cardiothoracic/vascular surgeon and they are always telling their patients that they need to stop smoking

Thanks in advance for you help.

The codes would be 99406 - Smoking and tobacco use cessation counseling visit\; intermediate, greater than 3 minutes up to 10 minutes
and 99407 - Smoking and tobacco use cessation counseling visit\; intensive, greater than 10 minutes

Read the guidelines FIRST

Be sure to read the guidelines for use of 99406 and 99407 first, before coding or advising your doctor to use these codes.

Simply telling a patient s/he needs to stop smoking does not qualify for these codes. I quote from the 2008 CPT Professional Edition (page 33): "Behavior change services involve specific validated interventions of assessing readiness for change and barriers to change, advising a change in behavior, assisting by providing specific suggested actions and motivational counseling, and arranging for services and follow-up."

The E/M service provided on the same date must be clearly documented as a significantly separate service. (And you'd append -25 modifier to the E/M.)

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M