Smoking Cessation - modifier on the E&M

epitale

Best answers
Is anyone using the smoking cessation codes to bill Medicare 99406 & 99407?
If so can you help educate me on the changes.
Before we could bill the G codes (G0375 & G0376) with the E&M, now someone has said we need a modifier on the E&M. It is my understanding that these codes 99406 & 99407 can billed in addition to the E&M with no modifier.
Please help educate me.
Thanks EM

mcpalmeter

Guru
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Smoking Cessation

Hi.

In answer to your question, Medicare guidelines changed to reflect CPT's creation of codes for smoking cessation so use the 99406-99407 codes instead of the G codes now. The Medicare Claims Processing Manual has not yet been updated to reflect the code changes from the G-codes but that was covered in CMS transmittal 1433 (Change Request 5878) dated 02/01/08. But the Manual language does address your question about billing with a medically necessary E/M service in Chapter 32, Section 12.1:

Contractors shall allow payment for a medically necessary E/M service on the same day as the smoking and tobacco-use cessation counseling service when it is clinically appropriate. Physicians and qualified non-physician practitioners shall use an appropriate HCPCS code, such as HCPCS 99201– 99215, to report an E/M service with modifier 25 to indicate that the E/M service is a separately identifiable service from G0375 or G0376.

I hope you have found this post helpful. :eek:

Regards,

Maryann C. Palmeter, CPC