Wiki Smoking statuses with office visits?

Best answers
Good Morning, everyone,

I'm fairly new to billing (7 mos), and was trained that all office visits/consultations need to have the smoking status (Z72.0, Z78.9, OR Z87.891) when billing E/M visits. I was trained to leave the smoking status off when only billing PFTs. Is this correct? There's some debate here as to whether the smoking status really needs to be included, and since I don't have much experience, I could use some guidance. We are temporarily without a coder, so I'm hoping you all can advise.

I know when billing 99406/99407 (smoking cessation counseling), an F17.21- code must be used. My question is pertaining to just the office visit without any type of counseling.

Thanks!!

For E/M visits you always use what the doctor provided as a diagnosis. Smoking status should be put if the doctor lists it. You can not bill an office visit without any counseling. Thats double dipping.

Usually for pft you need a proper diagnosis , Respiratory infections, trouble breahing from injury to the chest or a recent surgery, chronic lung conditions, Asbestosis, Restrictive airway problems, sarcoidosis, scleroderma etc.

I hope this helps.