Wiki Spinal Cord Stimulator Trials

Stacey

Contributor
Best answers
One of the facilites that I am working for has started performing Spinal Cord Stimulator Trials as outpatient encounters. If you could, please give me some insight on how your facility is CPT coding the Trials as opposed to the permanent implantation of the stimulator. I have been performing research, but it gets a bit confusing.

Thanks!

Trial Spinal Cord Stimulators

Trial SCS

CPT Code 63650 Percutaneous implantation of neurostimulator
if they do a SCS Trial Dual code 63650 twice. For each neurostimulator
there are 8 electrodes you code each electrode L8680 X 8. If they do
a SCS Trial Dual you would code L8680 X16.

Diane Rozak CPC-H, CPC-GI

Hi Diane....could you help me?

I've recently starting coding spinal cord stimulators. Can you tell me if the below is correct coding?

1.Insertion of Medtronic permanent spinal cord stimulator, battery and generator under fluoroscopic guidance 63650 x2 for the stimulator and two leads, 63685 for the battery
2.Two Leads: 1 Medtronic advanced battery 2 Medtronic anchor L8680 x 2 for 2 leads and L8699 x 2 for the anchors

Thank you so much in advance!

kfrycpc, it would depend on the setting, if you do need to use L codes, I noticed I didn't see one for the IPG/Battery

Pulse Generator
L8679 Implantable neurostimulator pulse generator, any type
L8687 Implantable neurostimulator pulse generator, dual array, rechargeable, includes extension
L8688 Implantable neurostimulator pulse generator, dual array, non-rechargeable, includes extension