Wiki Splitting a Private Practice

Best answers
In the Psychiatry practice I work for, we provide two different categories of service: we have a Psychiatry program and a Suboxone (opiate addiction treatment) program. I'm trying to find a way to legally separate the programs so that the MD can accept insurance for one and not the other (I was previously told this was the only acceptable way to do it), but I keep dead-ending. A sole proprietor can only have one NPI, and a business owner can only have one EIN. Does anyone know anything about how to do create two separate private practices for the same physician?

Thanks,
Rebecca

If you make them two separate corporations with different names, then you can get two NPI's and two EIN numbers.

Caroline

In the Psychiatry practice I work for, we provide two different categories of service: we have a Psychiatry program and a Suboxone (opiate addiction treatment) program. I'm trying to find a way to legally separate the programs so that the MD can accept insurance for one and not the other (I was previously told this was the only acceptable way to do it), but I keep dead-ending. A sole proprietor can only have one NPI, and a business owner can only have one EIN. Does anyone know anything about how to do create two separate private practices for the same physician?

Thanks,
Rebecca

Caroline's correct - he would have to create a separate business entity, with its own Tax ID. I don't know that it necessarily has to be incorporated, but I'm not a CPA...he should check with the IRS, to find out, though.