• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

spontaneous abortion 634.11 vs 639.1

doggieluv

Best answers
The scenatio is this. Patient came to ED with pain & bleeding. Had sponateous abortion 1 week previous. I'm questioning wheter to use 634.11 or 639.1 since the latter states that the complication is responsible for the episode of medical care. The patient had a D&C in the ED & path report states retained placenta. I'm not an ob-gyn coder so this is confusing.

nrodecker

Contributor
Best answers
The correct code would be 639.1. If the patient was hemorrhaging at the time of the abortion, then you would use 634.11

Bready

Guru
Best answers
I believe your first choice is the more correct. The 634.11 is often used to describe an incomplete abortion when products do not evacuate on their own and it does not have to be used in an "immediate" time frame. It is used with the D&C code and you stated the patient had D&C in the ED.