• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

supervision and interpretation

Colliemom

Expert
Best answers
(new to radiology coding) When coding for radiology I read the following: "When a procedure is performed by two physicians, the radiologic portion of the procedure is designated as radiological supervision and interpretation. When a physician performs both the procedure and provides the imagining supervision and interpretation, a combination of procedure codes outside the 70000 series and imaging supervision and interpretation codes are used."

In layman's terms what does this mean?

Last edited:

mbort

True Blue
Best answers
the physician reading the x-ray will use the modifier 26
the facility that owns the equipment will use the TC modifier

if the physician is reading and owns the x-ray equipment--no modifier is necessary.

Colliemom

Expert
Best answers
Thank you, I knew about the use of the 26/TC modifiers for radiology codes, but the way that read I thought it was referring to using other codes outside of the 70000 codes. I wasn't sure how that would work.

mbort

True Blue
Best answers
I interpret it as meaning whatever the procedure is, whether is a pain injection, or fracture treatment etc that require the use of x-ray/fluoro/ultrasound type equipment.

kamala

Contributor
Best answers
HI ,

Most of the Radiology Dr.'s perform Invasive as well as Assiting in the invasive procedures (where more intervention is needed ) .

The Radiologists are not credientialed to perform OPEN procedures , they can deal with anything that is done is percutaneous or else should guide a surgeon technically with the guidance expertise he has like US , CT , MRI , flouroscopy etc

Hence , if a Radiologist bills a procedure , which is done solemly by him , then he has to bill both the Surgery code and the S&I code (70000 series ).

Where as , if he guides a surgeon of any speciality then , he has to bill for the S&I alone with the -52 modifier , since the surgeon would have billed for his procedure ( surgery CPT ).

Current Billing rule , in more invasive IVR procedures , the radiologist should not bill , separately , he would get paid with the primary procedure billed by the surgeon and in turn the surgeon would pay the Rad dr.

So , we have to be much careful with the dictation , to ensure that our Dr. ie Radiologist having the dictation of surgery signed with informed consent ..

I hope this would help you .

Regards,
Kamala

ciphermed

Guru
Best answers
I interpret the combination coding to mean the S&I in addition to the surgical component (code outside of 70000 range, ie Biopsies, PTA's , Stent Placements etc.)