Wiki Suprapubic Catheter and UTI

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
S
Suprapubic Catheter and UTI

ICD-9-CM codes are no longer used as of Oct. 1, 2015, so look to the ICD-10-CM codebook when choosing a code.

If the urinary tract infection (UTI) is primary, without relation to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), use codes N39.0 Urinary tract infection, site not specified, N40.0 Benign prostatic hyperplasia without lower urinary tract symptoms.

For the artificial opening of urinary tract, look to Z93.6 Other artificial openings of urinary tract status and to Z93.50 Unspecified cystostomy status for the suprapubic catheter status.

jessv1910

Networker
Best answers
I have a case of a 63 y/o male PT who has had a Suprapubic Catheter since 7 yrs ago. He was admitted with an UTI and treated with an antibiotic. He also has a DX of Prostate Hyperthrophy. I'm having a hard time selecting a code for the Prostate Hyperthrophy as one code is for WITH and one is for WITHOUT urinary obstruction and other lower urinary tract symptoms. Also how do I code the presence of Suprapubic Catheter? Can someone help me? :confused:

DeeCPC

Guru
Best answers
Is the provider saying the UTI is due to the catheter? If so, you might want to look at 'complication due to presence of..'