Wiki Surgical Pathology

nyyankees

True Blue
Best answers
Hello-
I have a Pathology client and I know very little in reagrds to coding. Are there any official websites where I can get coding info and other important info so when I talk about this I'll have an idea of what I'm talking about.

The codes I see mostly are 88300, 88304, 88305,88311 and 89060. It seemd you need a 59 modifier on 88300 when done with other tests. Would like to get that info in writing.

Thank you.

CAP (College of American Pathologists) has a "CPT Coding Resource Center" available on their website. I haven't used any of the pay services available through CAP, but in the past I have referenced some of the CPT Coding Articles - most of the articles are somewhat older but they are a good place to start or at least help get you acquainted with surgical pathology.

In the past I have had good luck just Googling CPTs and or keywords and have found a few useful powerpoint presentations or articles. I know you're looking for web-based material, but MedLearn publishes "Coding Essentials for Pathology Services" yearly and I've found it to be a good tool.

And of course - always review the tried and true CPT book - it doesn't give a lot of hints about path coding, but it's always the best place to begin.

88300 is a gross only code, so it would apply to one specific specimen, like teeth where nothing is scrapped off and processed. Or removed hardware or breast implants.
CMS.gov and look up Nat'l Correct Coding Edits. The column 1 and 2 lists any codes that should never be applied together such as 88300 and 88331 on the same part received. IF you get teeth and a leg that gives you 2 specimens (A and B) and the 88307 will be one code and 88300 the other. If you do special stains on the leg, that goes with the 88307.
clear as mud?