Wiki Tavr

cmacdonald

Best answers
I have a case where a TAVR was attempted but because of complications it was stopped and the CT surgeon pulled in another CT surgeon to assist with the open replacement of the Aortic valve. Now my problem is how do I bill? If a procedure was started one way and they had to open him up, then you bill for the open procedure. However, we are also billing for the Cardiologist for the attempt and the rules are insurance will not pay without the 62 modifier on both charges from the cardiologist and the CT surgeon. 33361/62/53 can be billed for the Cardiologist. But what am I to do with the CT Surgeon's charge?

Unless the rules have changed for TAVR and interventionist cardiologist and CT surgeon should both be assisting on that procedure. As for having to convert to Open procedure then with the TAVR you would add the modifier that you have and for the CT surgeon what ever he did is what you would bill since you said the procedure turn to an open procedure you would bill Aortic valve replacement codes.