Wiki Teaching Hospital - bundling

deyoung

Guru
Best answers
Scenario: Resident sees patient in ER and calls attending to discuss. Patient discharged (only physically seen by resident). Patient comes back into the ER the next day; this time is seen by the resident and attending. Can these 2 days be bundled and billed by the attending? (He seems to recall something about a 72-hour rule but not sure where that info is). Thanks!

I am assuming that you are looking at billing the ER codes 99281-99285? I do not see anything in CPT about the rule, so I think it would be ok to bill it each day

Can't combine the two dates of service

Not sure if I correctly understand your question ... but no, you cannot combine the work of the two dates of service to arrive at one code.

Depending on documentation (and whether attending had face-to-face contact w/ patient) you can code each date of service separately.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

We would either be billing a consult (99241-99245) or initial eval (90801); whichever appropriate (we provide a consult service for the ER). I didn't think we could bundle the 2 dates of service into one but I can't find any documentation on this. The Dr won't be able to bill the first date of service because he didn't see the patient face-to-face; only discussed over the phone with resident. Thanks for the feedback...it helps me think things through. :)