• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We’re introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

The dreaded vaginal keloid scar/granuated tissue

cwpierce

Networker
Best answers
Howdy all,

I wanted to stretch the mental envelope a moment and pose a question to ponder. I'm sure most of us have run across the op note where revision of a keloid scar or granulated tissue of the vaginal vault was performed. Finding a code that will accomodate this procedure is not an easy task. I am curious to know your thoughts on code 57135 - Excision of a vaginal cyst or tumor with a Dx of 623.8 - Other specified noninflammatory disorder of vagina.

I know that using a CPT for a cyst or tumor excision is stretching a bit but it would seem to be the closest representation of the procedure being performed other than using a -22 modifier on the primary procedure code for consideration of the additional work involved.

What are your thoughts and/or comments?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Emmy1260

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
11420-426 excision, benign lesion including margins, (except skin tag) scalp, neck, hands, feet, genitalia; by size

dx:
701.4 Keloid scar
701.5 Other abnormal granulation tissue

cwpierce

Networker
Best answers
First, I may be incorrect but I thought the 10xxx Integumentary codes were for skin. When you mention genitalia on code 11420-426 I'm thinking the external genitalia...the skin portion and not up inside the vaginal vault. I don't think those codes would work for the internal portion of the organ but this is why I was asking the original question and appreciate that feedback as food for thought.

No, it is not really a tumor but I don't see it as a foreign body beings the scar tissue is formed by the human body so I was not considering it as a foreign body. I was more thinking that this was as close a code as I could come up with but wanted to see if I was stretching too much. Again, thank you for the feedback.