• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

"TIME" based E/M

mmunoz21

Networker
Best answers
Hi,

In auditing some medical records I have some doctors writing 45min or 80min spent with pt., of course to obtain the highes level E/M based on "TIME".. is it written anywhere (CMS, FSCO..ect) that the start time and end time has to be in the chart? I know it has to be written for prolonged services codes 99354-99358.

Best answers
Counselling/Coordination of Care

To answer your direct question - no, the start/stop times do not have to be recorded BUT ..
You must record:
1. Total time spent face-to-face
2. Time spent on counseling/coordination of care
3. State what the C/C was about

e.g. I spent 70 minutes face-to-face with patient, 50 minutes of which was counseling about treatment options, risks and benefits of various options.

By the way ... I don't see where start/end time is needed for prolonged service either. Do you have a reference where you got this?

mmunoz21

Networker
Best answers
On the CMS website MLN#MM5972 prolonged services...

ThanksMLN Matters Number: MM5972
Related Change Request (CR) #: 5972
Related CR Release Date: April 11, 2008
Effective Date: July 1, 2008
Related CR Transmittal #: R1490CP
Implementation Date: July 7, 2008
Prolonged Services (Codes 99354 - 99359)

Thanks