Wiki To Code or Not to Code. Should Physicians Become AAPC Certified Professional Coders?

Billing Coordinator -NYU Langone Medical Center

In my opinion....NO. Physicians should only be concerned with treating patients. However, in small practice where there are few or no employees to do the billing for them, then YES.

On the fence

Dr. Aaronson, congratulatons on your certification - a great achievment!

I was firmly on the "no" side to your question until I read your article. While I still don't believe that it should be a requirement for each physician to be a certified coder, I do believe that a good working knowledge of the process should be part of a physician's curriculum. As long as the physician understands that his or her documentation will affect the coding process and they appreciate what this means not only to their finances but also to health care research and development, that would be sufficient.

However, for those physicians like you who have a passion for coding, then of course, go for it! Then it will help them achieve a goal they set for themselves. But if it is made mandatory...then I see the physicians just complaining it is another set of cumbersome rules and regulations they must follow and $%#%#^%$, don't we have enough of them already? :rolleyes:

I believe Dr Aaronson has some great points and probably takes his coding very seriously. I also think there is a need for more physicians like him on the types of committees of which he spoke.

BUT....most physicains are not going to take the time to learn coding, even if they become certified. Most of them do not have the time it would take to keep up with their practice responsibilities AND their coding continuing educaiton. Having attended some seminars where a physician takes up class time arguing "his point" to which all coders are always wrong and he knows best what he did, I don't think overall its a great idea for physicians to become certified coders.

KUDOs to Dr Aaronson!!! I'm very impressed that he took this extra step!!! :cool: