Wiki Tobacco Exposure

donsqueen

Best answers
How would you code tobacco exposure in a lifelong non-smoker? I can't believe with all the second hand smoke effects that there isn't a diagnosis code for this. I am thinking V15.89.

Thanks,

Amy

Is the pt having any symptoms? Is there a reason this is included in the record? Is it someone with a cough? Because, really, we ALL have exposure... if the pt has no symptoms, I think you should avoid the poisoning code, especially if the provider doesn't call it poisoning, and I wouldn't use an E code because those are causal; you could use a V code.
You don't want to insert anything of yourself or your opinion in the record-- keep it clean.

second hand

I took this through 3M and this is what I come up with:
994.9 effects of external causes and E869.4 accidental poisoning by second hand tobacco smoke. Anyone else?

I guess then you would have to determine if there were symptoms to cover this.

That's why, again, we requested information on the diagnostic statement. Enough information was not provided to make a determination. I made a suggestion based on my "hunch" that there should be more in the record than what was provided to us.

Thanks.

tobacco exposure

I would also agree with the V87.19 Other hazardous aromatic compounds, if it's just an exposure to second hand smoke with no symptoms to code.

Wow, I had forgotten about this one and came back today to see if there was anything on this same topic. My current patient has COPD and a possible lung abscess due to years of working in a bar and being exposed to second hand smoke.

Thank you all for your answers. I went with V87.39 contact/exposure to other substances. I'm just not comfortable with the aromatic chemicals without the doctor saying something about them.

Amy

You would report an E code. Per AHA Coding Clinic, 4th quarter, 1994, pg.44
E869.4, accidental poisoning by second-hand tobacco smoke is used to identify non-smokers exposed to "second-hand smoke". In order to assign E869.4, the physician must provide documentation that second-hand smoke or environmental tobacco smoke is the external cause. When there is NO condition or symptom, this code should not be assigned.

ICD10-CM Solves this

I'm glad that ICD10-CM resolves this issue with a code to describe smoke exposure. Can't wait until we start with ICD10!!!!:D