Wiki Total Adbominal Hysterectomy

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
C
Total Adbominal Hysterectomy

Without looking at the operative report, 58150 Total abdominal hysterectomy (corpus and cervix), with or without removal of tube(s), with or without removal of ovary(s) is correct. If the lysis of adhesions was extensive, took more time than usual, caused more use of instruments, etc., however, then you should add modifier 22 Increased procedural services. But only use modifier 22 when necessary. If the adhesions were mostly lysed to get to the adnexa for removal, you shouldn’t use modifier 22. Check the operative report and the surgeon’s documentation to determine how extensive the work was.

daniel

True Blue
Best answers
TOTAL ABDOMINAL HYSTERCTOMY,
AND SALPINGO-OOPHORECTOMY,
AND LYSIS OF ADHESIONS,

Are these procedures all include in

CPT; 58150- total abdominal hysterectomy (corpus and cervix), with or without removal of tube(s), with or without removal of ovary(s),

Thinking yes

Thank You
daniel, CPC

Anna Weaver

True Blue
Best answers
Tah

TOTAL ABDOMINAL HYSTERCTOMY,
AND SALPINGO-OOPHORECTOMY,
AND LYSIS OF ADHESIONS,

Are these procedures all include in

CPT; 58150- total abdominal hysterectomy (corpus and cervix), with or without removal of tube(s), with or without removal of ovary(s),

Thinking yes

Thank You
daniel, CPC

Without seeing the OP note, I would say yes, but! If the lysis of adhesions was extensive, took more time than usual, caused more use of instruments etc. then I would add the 22 modifier. However, I have only seen this a couple of times where the 22 modifier was needed. Mostly the adhesions were lysed to get to the adnexa for removal. In that case, I wouldn't code it. This is something that you will have to determine from the OP report and the documentation by the surgeon.
Anyone else?