• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Trying to enter coding field

elderberry

Best answers
I have two Master's Degree, one in Library Science. I have worked for over twenty years in Corporate Libraries in the Financial Services Industry. I lost my position last December and attended a local college with a certificate program in Medical Coding. I completed the courses and took the AHIMA exam for Certified Coding Associate in August. I passed the exam, did some volunteer work in Healthcare Finance Department at a local non-profit and have not been able to locate a position. Any advice?

RenaHall

Networker
Best answers
You might consider checking the hospitals in your area. Sounds like you would be a nice asset to a larger office or a hospital organization! You may consider getting your foot in the door with a different position in the medical field, and them move into coding or compliance.
Rena

elderberry

Best answers
Thank you for the suggestion

Thank you for your response. A local hospital looking for volunteers mentioned in their ad that they need volunteers in Medical Records. I might look into that, also one of my former doctors opened their own practice so I might look into a volunteer position there if possible. Thanks again