Wiki Unsigned Progress notes- Help!

aliciafin32

Contributor
Best answers
My physicians are not signing their H&P's before claim submission. I need to shed some light to them about this but I need to have something in writing showing that they need to sign their notes in a timely manner and what's the risk of them not signing their notes.

Thanks

Alicia

My physicians are not signing their H&P's before claim submission. I need to shed some light to them about this but I need to have something in writing showing that they need to sign their notes in a timely manner and what's the risk of them not signing their notes.

Thanks

Alicia

Is it really that hard to just sign it?:rolleyes:

They're taking a risk, by submitting claims on documentation that's technically incomplete. They may never get caught (hell, I may win the lottery); but what a nightmare if they do! http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/...ractice-management/20100602signaturereqs.html

"If physicians are not following all the prescribed rules -- for example, if patient records are going unsigned or physicians scribble an illegible signature -- then physicians could end up under the microscope of more than one of the audit contractor groups, she said.

Furthermore, said Hughes, issues that are under review -- as well as the percentage of errors found -- are published by Medicare administrative contractors and may be the basis for further review by an RAC or even a Medicaid integrity contractor."

All it takes is one medical record request. How certain are your doctors that they always remember to go back and sign the charts later? Would they be willing to wager their paycheck? How about their practice? Those are the potential stakes. (If you actually ask them that and one is feeling confident enough to tell you that he would bet his paycheck, I'd start pulling charts that instant!:p)

The doctors are ultimately responsible for what goes out the door, correct or not, and they're the ones that will pay the price if bad habits come back to haunt them. You can only warn them of the consequences of the risks they're taking (You can lead a horse to water...). If you feel that something is being done fraudulently, then you should go through the appropriate channels to express your concerns.

Some people like to live on the edge - most of them show it by doing things like skydiving, but I guess gambling with your livelihood could be just as exciting. :cool: