Wiki URGENT! Dr Signature on behalf of entity/clinic?

kayleeevans907

Networker
Best answers
Hello,
I am running into a problem with some physicians attaching an electronic signature to patient's records that reads as "Dr. X on behalf of DEPARTMENT NAME". This seems problematic to me and fellow coders as they are signing on behalf of an entire entity/department instead of just for themselves as the rendering physician.
We know what causes this and there's a simple process that the physicians could do to avoid this within our EHR but they refuse citing that it isn't part of their work-flow. This then ignites a new problem of them disliking us sending back records for signature corrections and asking us to assign a nurse/admin/etc. to fix their signatures or to find another way to fix it that doesn't involve them.
I have another meeting tomorrow about this and am trying to gather as much documentation as I can about why someone else cannot alter their signature for them and why it is incorrect to sign on behalf of an entire clinic department or entity to hopefully put this issue to rest. I already found a fact sheet from CMS that explains a little on why someone else can't sign for you but am having a hard time finding resources on a signature needing to be specific to a provider only and not a group/department/entity. Does anyone know of good resources for this?
Thank you!

I guess I am not seeing the problem with this. Could it be changed in your emr system to "Dr X, Department Name" instead of "on behalf of"? Either way, I don't see it as an issue. If you can't trust the doctor to speak on behalf of their department, they shouldn't be employed there.

I agree, I don't really see the problem here as long as one provider is not attesting to having done a different provider's work. Even if the verbiage states 'on behalf of', it is still their signature. The electronic health record should have an audit trail showing who authenticated the signature if there was ever a question about this in an audit.

Interesting, I'm going to discuss more with senior coders/upper management why this was determined to be such an issue. I personally cannot access an audit trail that shows specific events on my side of our EHR, I'll check with our IT team to see if they can come up with a way this could be verified if an auditor had a problem with it and if we can supply that audit trail that's another huge reason why we might not need to pursue this as an issue.
Thank you for the fast feedback I appreciate it!