Wiki usg use for uterus size

Tazlar

Contributor
Best answers
Has anyone had a provider use an usg to check the size of an uterus before IUD insertion? We had a 14 yr old come for IUD insertion and the provider did an USG before hand. Other than the CPT code, I cannot find anything that's billable. The patient is simply not developed enough yet for this procedure/option. Z30.09 will be on the E&M and at this point I don't see where I can charge for the USG. Thank you in advance for any insight.

Possibly 76857 - limited pelvic ultrasound?
The provider or ultrasound technician applies conductive gel on the skin over the pelvic region. This helps in the transmission of the sound waves. An ultrasound machine sends high–frequency sound waves through a probe which is called transducer. The transducer is then pressed against the skin and moved over the area being studied. Use this code for a complete ultrasound to examine one or more, but not all, the pelvic organs. This procedure is usually performed to follow up or reevaluate findings on a previous ultrasound or to assess a limited number of structures in the pelvis.

Just remember that diagnostic ultrasounds require permanently recorded images with measurements and report.

Hope that helps!