• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

V23.2 vs 646.3x

kewing

Networker
Best answers
Hi All.

I am hoping for a definitive answer regarding when it is appropriate to use each of these codes.

I know that 646.3x is used when the patient is pregnant and has had 3 or more consecutive sAb's. That is not a problem. Which code is supposed to be used, though, if the patient has had one or two sAb's or non-consecutive sAb's? Faye Brown specifically says that V23.2 is not to be used for current pregnancy (which makes no sense to me, either. Can someone explain?) So then should I be looking at V23.49?

Any guidance and references on this subject would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks.

Karen

lorilynn7657

Contributor
Best answers
I don't know who Faye Brown is, but ICD-9 states V23.2 is 'preg w/ hx of AB', which means current pregnancy; and further describes the code as 'pregnancy w/ h/o conditions classifiable to 634-638'. I use this in a case like you describe, a history of SAB but not as many as 3 consecutive.