V58.69 w/ 314.01

kattekatt

Contributor
Best answers
My billing manager (not a coder) just walked by and told me that we are billing the med check appts for ADD/ADHD wrong- she states that we have to bill w/ the V58.69 first and the then 314.xx next-- she states that since we are billing it the 314.xx ,V58.69 the claims are going to deductible and that is incorrect. My view is that the reason that I am coding correctly w/ the 314.xx,V58.69 and that the claims are going to deductible because they fall under the mental health area of the insurance policy which can have a deductible on it. Is there any where that I can print out that the V code cannot be used as a prmy code - or am I wrong?

Thanks

dwebb58

Best answers
v58.69 w/ 314.01

according to Coding Clinic the V58.69 cannot be primary code only a secondary if using only v58.69 then you also have to use V58.83 as primary and then any other codes.

tbrandt

New
Best answers
V58.69

The V code table shows V58.69 is coded as an additional dx only. I'd show your manager this table.

kattekatt

Contributor
Best answers
I talked to the billing mgr a little while ago to ask her what prompted this issue- she told me that a BCBS rep told her that if we billed the ov w/ the
V58.69, 314.xx then it would of paid in full and not went to the deductible. I guess not even the insurance wants us to code it correctly :confused:

I gave her the V58.83 code and she seemed ok to use that code as the prmy but still wants to use the 314.xx code as the secondary code.

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
If the visit is for a med check then the V58.83 is the appropriate dx first listed with the V58.69 second then the 314.xx third.