• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

vaccine request/deferred exam

MICHELLE1279

Best answers
I'm not 100% sure I agree w/my physicians level 2 E/M for this visit, any suggestions? HPI - pt is here requesting adacel vaccine. To me that doesn't count as problem focused HPI, am I wrong? PMH/SHX documented. Review of syst/exam incl temp/pulse/bp and resp rate/weight. Further exam declined. Patient was not given the adacel vaccine as she is breastfeeding, and last tetnus date is unknown. Could he bill a level 2 for this encounter, and what would the dx be? She has no issues addressed. She was directed to get her prev med records, and schedule a nurse visit when she is no longer breastfeeding. Thanks for any insight.

tennislaurie

Best answers
What I don't understand is why patient was scheduled when provider could not administer the vaccine due to her breastfeeding. I see no chief complaint or any indication that this visit was medically necessary. At most, it looks to me like all they did was take her vital signs. I would not be billing a level two visit.

dmaec

True Blue
Best answers
For an established patient only 2 of the 3 elements of the components need to be met. So if documentation supports a level 2 he can bill it.
HISTORY COMPONENT= PROBLEM FOCUSED
HPI PF -with question adacel vaccines. The doctor reviewed with the patient the Adacel Vaccine-the fact that she couldn't get it now and why and when to come back - reviewed with patient that last tet was unknown.
ROS EXP with 1 under constituional;
PFSH COMP -with two being documented;

EXAM COMPONENT =NO EXAM;

MDM-STRAIGHT FORWARD

PF/no exam/Straight Forward = level 2