Wiki What does HCC stand for?

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
G
Code: I13.0

Code Name: ICD-10 Code for Hypertensive heart and chronic kidney disease with heart failure and stage 1 through stage 4 chronic kidney disease, or unspecified chronic kidney disease

Block: Hypertensive diseases (I10-I16)

Excludes 1: hypertensive disease complicating pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium (O10-O11, O13-O16)
neonatal hypertension (P29.2)
primary pulmonary hypertension (I27.0)

Use additional code to identify:exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (Z77.22)
history of tobacco use (Z87.891)
occupational exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (Z57.31)
tobacco dependence (F17.-)
tobacco use (Z72.0)

Details: Hypertensive heart and chronic kidney disease with heart failure and stage 1 through stage 4 chronic kidney disease, or unspecified chronic kidney disease

Use additional code to identify stage of chronic kidney disease (N18.1-N18.4, N18.9)

I13

Includes: any condition in I11.- with any condition in I12.-
cardiorenal disease
cardiovascular renal disease

Guidelines: Diseases of the circulatory system (I00-I99)

Excludes 2: certain conditions originating in the perinatal period (P04-P96)
certain infectious and parasitic diseases (A00-B99)
complications of pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium (O00-O9A)
congenital malformations, deformations, and chromosomal abnormalities (Q00-Q99)
endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases (E00-E88)
injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes (S00-T88)
neoplasms (C00-D49)
symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified (R00-R94)
systemic connective tissue disorders (M30-M36)
transient cerebral ischemic attacks and related syndromes (G45.-)

For more details on I13.0 , ICD-10 Code for Hypertensive heart and chronic kidney disease with heart failure and stage 1 through stage 4 chronic kidney disease, or unspecified chronic kidney disease , visit: https://coder.aapc.com/icd-10-codes/

pamtienter

Expert
NAB Member
Best answers
Medicare has classified about 3,000 of the 14,000 ICD-9 diagnosis codes into HCCs or categories designating chronic conditions that end up costing them more money over the long run, such as diabetes, kidney failure, old MI, etc. When patients are assigned these ICD-9 codes, Medicare sees those beneficiaries as being more severely ill than the "average" Medicare beneficiary. For the Medicare Advantage members, this could result in higher reimbursement. There is lots of info on the CMS website if you search "HCC". Here is one document (very large document):
http://www.cms.hhs.gov/HealthCareFinancingReview/Downloads/04Summerpg119.pdf