Wiki What DX codes for pap exam with diagnosis charted by provider other than screening

mamoore56

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
We have a discussion as to what codes to use for a patient who was scheduled for an exam / pap smear and after testing, diagnosed with HPV. We know we don't code the symptoms related to the HPV but do we code the V code for the pap exam second to the HPV diagnosis? I have been told it should be HPV code only but my experience has been to code the HPV first and pap smear V code second? I appreciate a response.:)

hpv only , the V code is for screening .

If she is coming in for a re pap because of the HPV you don't use the screening V code , since this isn't a well woman screen , it is a diagnostic for HPV

Dx code for exam or hpv

The patient was scheduled to come in for a pap exam; not for HPV. The provider detected HPV from the exam and pap. Are you saying only use HPV & no V code for pap exam?:confused:

Take a look at V76 Speical screening for malignant neoplasms in ICD-9 in the tabular section. There is a coding tip under the code that states "Whenever a screening exam is performed, the screening code is the first-listed code regardless of the findings or any other procedure that is performed as a result of the findings."