Wiki what is the difference between heart disease & cardiovascular disease

Best answers
I am a student and there was a worksheet my coding teacher gave us to work. The pre-op diagnosis was arteriosclerotic heart disease. I got the CPT codes correct but I coded the arteriosclerotic heart disease 429.2 and my teacher had 414.00. We had a discussion about it and she saw my side of it and so we had come to the conclusion that she was not real sure what the difference was between heart disease and cardiovascular disease. Is there anyone who can clarify this for me? I looked up the definition to both in my medical dictionary and both were redunant.

The definitions of 'arteriosclerosis' and 'cardiovascular' are a little different, your code selection would need to be based on the actual description of the codes in relation to the actual diagnosis listed.

414.00 Coronary artheroderosis of unspecified type of vessel, native, or graft.
Arteriosclerosis: thickening or hardening of the walls of the arteries.
This code is used the type of vessel, native, or graft being affected by the arteriosclerosis is unspecified.

429.2 Unspecified cardiovascular disease.
Cardiovascular: relating to the heart and blood vessels.
This code is used when the type of cardiovascular disease is unspecified.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks, I think I understand. The procedure was a coronary bypass X 5. Two were venous grafts and three were arterial grafts so it sounds like the teacher was right.