• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

X-ray modifiers

aclinton

Contributor
Best answers
When you are billing for an x ray of a leg or an arm, do you have to put the modifier LT or RT if you are only billing for the one? I can see if you are x raying both legs and having to put a modifier. Can someone give me any advice?

mbort

True Blue
Best answers
you dont have to, the RT/LT are informational modifiers. We do it so that if there is a question we dont have to pull a chart to look, we can see it at a glance in our system.

RebeccaWoodward*

True Blue
Best answers
While I do agree with Mary, I do caution. We have one carrier, in particular, that does not like RT/LT and rejects everytime. It really creates a mess when the primary carrier prefers RT/LT for bilateral procedures and this other carrier is the secondary. Just food for thought.....