|Employer:||The University of Chicago
|Specialties:||Emergency Medicine/Trauma, Internal Medicine Inpatient E&M (primary care and sub-specialties)
|Required Certifications:||CPC (or RHIA/RHIT/CCS-P/CCS)
|Required Experience:||1 to 2 years
|Preferred Experience:||3 to 4 years
The Department of Medicine is seeking an individual to work with providers and staff on professional billing and compliance activities. Prior experience with professional billing for emergency medicine and trauma services is strongly preferred. Experience with inpatient professional services is preferred. Strong knowledge of Evaluation and Management coding guidelines and requirements is strongly preferred.
- Obtain appropriate reimbursement levels for professional services by reviewing and coding medical procedures, diagnoses, and physician visits.
- Analyze denial and rejection reports, and appeal wherever appropriate.
- Submit charges to UCPG in a timely manner.
- Work in collaboration with the Clinical Revenue Supervisor and others, provide guidance to faculty and staff on the charge capture and documentation processes.
- Educate physicians and support staff on coding issues, including issues related to fraud and abuse as it relates to coding/professional billing/clinical documentation.
- Attend and participate in meetings related to clinical revenue production and compliance.
- Manage interpersonal relationships and interact/communicate with clarity, tact and courtesy with patrons, patients, staff, faculty, students and others.
- Communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
- Identify priorities; recognize and resolve or refer problems; work effectively with supervision and as a part of a team; use or learn a range of position-related software applications.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or 2-4 years of experience in physician billing & coding required.
Working knowledge of ICD and CPT coding classification systems, coding for third-party payers, including CMS guidelines and reimbursement compliance, and demonstrated knowledge of both specialty and primary care coding concepts to include the application of modifiers and documentation requirements required.
Must have one of the following: Registered Health Information Administrator [RHIA], Registered Health Information Technician [RHIT], Certified Coding Specialist-Physician-based [CCS-P], Certified Professional Coder [CPC], or Certified Coding Specialist [CCS]).
Thorough working knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, as demonstrated by certification through a nationally accredited body (e.g., AAPC or AHIMA) required.
Prior experience with electronic billing and medical record systems (i.e. Epic) is required.
Prior experience in an academic medical center or large, complex hospital-physician billing group preferred.
Prior experience working with Internal Medicine primary and sub-specialty physician and procedure coding strongly preferred.
?NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
This is NOT a remote coding position.