Certified Coding Specialist
Job Code: 2008
OB CODING EXPERIENCE PREFERRED
Flexible Schedule and opportunity to work from home
The Certified Coding Specialist is responsible for abstraction and accurate coding of procedures from the medical record to ensure optimal reimbursement while staying compliant with OIG, CMS, the local Medicare Administrative Contractor, all system policies and procedures and any state and other regulatory agencies. The Certified Coding Specialist must adhere to all CPT guidelines and CD-10 Coding Guidelines.
INTEGRIS Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
The Certified Coding Specialist responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Reviews/queries, assigned fee tickets documentation to ensure proper ICD-10 and CPT coding for every charge submitted, including proper linking ICD-10 codes.
* Abstracts and codes by body system, organ, etiology and morphology.
* Applies CPT 4, ICD-10- CM, HCPCS and modifiers.
* Provides feedback to physicians on revenue opportunities, documentation and compliance standards.
* Work with departments to optimize reimbursement, ensure charge capture, reduce late charges and provide feedback to providers.
* Answer customer calls.
* Enters charges into applicable billing system.
* Works directly with physicians and clinical staff.
* Communicates effectively with others
* Problem solves issues independently and with teams.
Reports to the Director of Operations, Operations Manager, Supervisor or Clinic Administrator as assigned.
Required Physical Demands (Subject to Reasonable Accommodation):
Keyboarding/Dexterity: Frequently; activity exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time
Standing/Walking: Occasionally; activity exists up to 1/3 of the time
Strength (Lift/Carry/Push/Pull): Sedentary (exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally)
Talking (Must be able to effectively communicate verbally): Yes
Color Acuity (Must be able to distinguish and identify colors): No
Hazards are minimal if safety precautions are utilized. Heavy work volume, high degree of accuracy required, and stringent deadlines. Exposure to serious error is present: data integrity, health information security/confidentiality. May be required to work extended hours occasionally related to deadlines and needs of departments. Exposure to weather conditions during travel
This position may have additional or varied physical demand and/or respiratory fit test requirements. Please consult the Physical Demands Project SharePoint site or contact Risk Management/Employee Health for additional information.
All applicants will receive consideration regardless of membership in any protected status as defined by applicable state or federal law, including protected veteran or disability status.
* CPC (Certified Professional Coder), RHIT (Registered Health Information Technician), RHIA (Registered Health Information Administrator), CCS (Certified Coding Specialist) or CCA (Certified Coding Associate) Certification required within 12 months of hire.
* For applicants without certification 5 years of experience demonstrating coding knowledge and proficiency may be substituted for certification
* Continued education in a healthcare related field as required by certifying body (AAPC, AHIMA)
* 3 years experience in a multi specialty physician environment working with CPT and ICD-10 coding.
* Advanced knowledge of CPT 4, ICD-10 -CM, HCPCS and modifiers.
* 3 years experience with Medicare, Medicaid, and all major commercial payers.
* Intermediate computer skills.
* Must be able to communicate effectively in English (Verbal/Written).
* College degree may be substituted for experience.