This position is responsible for providing
quality assurance education, analysis and recommendations for revenue cycle
process including coding, billing and policy regulations. The incumbent will
act as a resource on coding, system analysis and regulatory policy issues. This
position will have a strong focus on quality improvements with positive
outcomes associated with the revenue cycle to consistently code and bill
appropriately. The incumbent develops educational programs to ensure
appropriate staff (i.e. Medical Account Coding Specialists, Coders, and Coding
Auditors) are developed and sustain proficient understanding of University of
Utah Health quality assurance needs. Examples of educational programs include
coding regulations, coding updates, applicable clinical knowledge, and
national, fiscal intermediary, and organization-specific coding and
reimbursement guidelines. This individual will develop and build direct,
interactive, dynamic relationships with physicians, departments, management and
of Utah Job ID# PRN24505B - 00209 - Univ Medical
Billing – Oper
COMPENSATION: $69,000 - $85,000
WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time
1. Provides individual and group education/presentations to
coding staff, physicians, and others throughout the organization that require
coding knowledge; monitors and reports progress to ensure compliance with
coding standards and expectations.
2. Develops curriculum for individual and group diagnosis and procedural
coding, and all related federal and state billing regulations.
3. Coordinates development of educational materials for physicians, other
providers, and auditors.
4. Research and evaluate coding, documentation practices, and processes, and
identify billing policy and coding trends through data analysis or chart
5. Responsible for denial prevention, communication and providing suggestions
6. Respond to questions and concerns from internal and external staff.
7. Manages, supervises and works in conjunction with coding auditors and/or
medical account coding specialists to ensure continuous feedback and
re-education if necessary.
8. Attends weekly and monthly meetings.
9. Complete the AAPC online PMCC CPC-I instructor program
and written coding exam within 6 months from hire date, (earning the CPC-I, AAPC instructor
10. Monitors work quality and employee productivity to ensure adherence to
11. Special projects as assigned.
12. Other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
AHIMA or AAPC Coding Certification. Minimum of Five years of
progressively complex coding experience for outpatient and provider services.
Complete and accurate knowledge of ICD-10, HCPCS, and CPT coding.
Ability to interpret and understand laws and regulations at a Federal and State
level. Ability to identify coding and charging errors. Proficient knowledge of
anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology. Comprehensive knowledge of
Medicare/Medicaid and third party coding requirements. Demonstrated human
relations and effective communication skills courses; excellent interpersonal skills
and strong team player. Ability to work in a culturally diverse environment.
Intermediate computer skills with Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, OneNote.
Previous adult teaching experience is preferred.
• Previous adult training experience
• Data analytics and root cause analysis
• Revenue cycle expertise with a focus on coding
denials and appeals
TO APPLY, VISIT: http://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/108383
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process
will be provided to individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Office of
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801)
581-8365 (V/TDD), for further information or to request an accommodation. The
University of Utah is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and
minorities are encouraged to apply.