Position Title: Compliance Privacy Supervisor
Full Time Position: 40 Hr Wk Day Shift
Salary Range: Wage will vary depending on experience and position requirements.
This position reports to and assists the Director of Compliance and QI with the administration of the SummitStone Compliance Program. Will review and evaluate compliance and privacy issues/concerns within the organization and be responsible for tracking and reporting of issues/concerns. Responsible for overseeing all ongoing activities related to the development, implementation, maintenance of, and adherence to SummitStone’s policies and procedures covering privacy of, and access to, patient health information in compliance with federal and state laws and the agency’s privacy practices. In addition, position will supervise Medical Records staff and serve as the custodian of client records for the agency.
• Manages all HIPAA breach notifications and coordinates and assists SummitStone Marketing department with breach notifications to the media.
• Participates in New Employee Orientation by presenting standards of conduct and HIPAA information to new staff.
• Assists with preparation for and administration of the agency’s internal Compliance Committee.
• Monitors, reviews, and performs investigations in consultation with the Compliance Director, on reported compliance and privacy issues/concerns.
• Performs data entry to and maintenance of the compliance hotline and privacy complaints databases.
• Responsible for initiating and maintaining ongoing subpoena process for agency, including decision-making on Release of Information appropriateness.
• Assists with annual compliance training and risk assessment process.
• Assists with clinician licensing, credentialing and contracting processes.
• Determines applicability and execution of Business Associates Agreements (BAA) within the agency’s contracting process.
• Chairs the Policy, Procedures, and Forms Committee and is responsible for production and distribution of agency policy, procedure, and form documents – both electronic and paper.
• Assists with internal, external and payer audits.
• Primary responder to compliance hotline calls and emails.
• Point-person for client record retention standards and coordination of storage for client paper and electronic records.
• Supervises full- and part-time staff in the agency’s medical records department.
• Sits on various agency committees and may lead committee meetings.
• Works with Director of Compliance, Director of IT/IS and other senior leaders to ensure client rights to inspect, amend, and restrict access to protected health information.
• Strong and effective verbal and written communications skills.
• Ability to present and train staff.
• Time management and work prioritization skills.
• Ability to plan, organize and work in a multi-disciplinary setting.
• Establish and maintain cooperative inter- and intra-organizational work relationships.
• Ability to read, develop and interpret policy, rules, regulations, and other legal documents.
• Judgment and problem-solving competency – able to draw correct conclusions from situations and make necessary recommendations.
• Understanding of the major compliance laws such as the False Claims Act, Stark Laws, Anti-kickback Statutes, HIPAA, Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act of 2010 and HITECH.
• Associates or bachelor’s degree with health information management experience.
• At least one year of healthcare experience.
• Familiarity with federal and state compliance and privacy regulations and laws.
• Demonstrated organization, facilitation, communication, and presentation skills.
• Able to maintain professional boundaries with protected information.
• Master’s degree in healthcare business or related field; RHIT, RHIA, CPCO and/or other healthcare compliance certification.
• Two to five years-experience with privacy and compliance law, record access, release of information, and hotline monitoring and tracking.
• At least two years of experience interacting with legal counsel, physicians and other clinicians.
• Minimum one-year in a supervisory role.
• Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs.
• Frequently required to walk, sit, stand or kneel and occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop.
• Must have ability to sit for longer periods of time at a computer.
• Must be able to travel between agency and partner organization locations.
• Noise level at work environment is usually moderate.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• This position is exempt and not eligible for overtime.
• This positions workload is based on a 40-hour work-week.
• This position may include additional hours beyond 40 hours per week.