|Skills:||Compliance,HIPAA,Risk Management,Records Management,RHIT,AHIMA,HCCA
|Specialties:||Primary Care, Specialty, Surgery
|Required Experience:||5 to 7 years
|Location:||Ann Arbor, MI
the guidance of the Compliance & Coding Manger, has primary responsibility
for serving as IHA's resource for Records Management, Policies, and Compliance
Education. This role provides direction
and guidance on records request, general compliance education and tracking
IHA's Compliance policies and education work.
for identifying, assessing, and recommending corrections for all areas of
compliance policies, general compliance education and records management. Assures adherence to all government
regulations and accrediting body standards, organizes and implements policies
and procedures necessary to support IHA structures and processes; This position
will serve as the subject matter expert on IHA Records Management.
- Develops, coordinates, and administers facility-wide
system for records management, policy management and performs routine
audits of record systems as included in IHA's Risk Management Audit Plan.
- Collects, evaluates and distributes relevant data
concerning compliance and risk education.
Performs proactive analysis of data and follows up to close gaps in
- Reviews policies, processes to formulate potential for
organizational changes, and makes recommendations for approval by
Compliance & Coding Manager.
Informs directors of service and department heads regarding
occurrences, issues, findings and records management recommendations;
provides feedback to directors to gain compliance with IHA standards.
- Participates on committees directed towards promoting
records work and serves as IHA liaison for all records request questions.
- Provides educational classes and job aides to office
staff for processing records requests in alignment with IHA Standards for
- Performs audits of IHA standards, record and education
tracking systems. Monitors and
manages education-tracking files for IHA classes, meeting presentations
and Health Stream coursework.
- Promotes accurate and complete medical record
integrity. Directs and coordinates
non-risk related release of records and information in response to
subpoenas, court orders, attorney requests, state and federal agency
investigations and other inquiries on records legal questions and
- Works collaboratively with the Risk Manager and
Director of Compliance and Risk Management to screen questions for risk
case related items. Forwards all
risk related items to Risk Manager for response.
- Receives, records related help desk events and responds
in a timely manner to provide direction and guidance.
- Retains knowledge of current IHA events to recommend
appropriate revisions to new or existing policies and procedures to reduce
the frequency of future occurrences.
- Develops and maintains up to date educational materials
for Records Management.
- Performs general Compliance Group Education for staff
utilizing effective training methods and job aides.
- Ensures the quality of IHA medical records by verifying
their completeness, accuracy, and proper entry into computer systems.
- Manages IHA Compliance Policies and Forms, ensures they
are up-to-date and saved according to IHA standards for storage, format
- Manages electronic information database for tracking
and analyzing data as required in IHA's annual Audit Plan and as directed
for Compliance Matters which arise and require analysis. Utilizes data from trend analysis and
identifies opportunities to strengthen internal processes and compliance
with IHA standards.
- Maintains knowledge and complies with applicable
healthcare laws, regulations and standards concerning patient care. Maintains awareness of legislative
activities that may affect risk management programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree or equivalent combination
of relevant education and experience.
AHIMA Certified RHIT- Registered Health Information Technician / or Compliance
EXPERIENCE: 5 or more years'
experience in the following areas: Compliance, HIPAA, healthcare risk
management, regulatory standards, records management and retention.
REQUIREMENTS (ABILITIES & SKILLS):
- Knowledge of federal, state, and insurance company
regulations and contract requirements affecting compliance in a healthcare
setting; understands managed care and insurance practices.
- Understanding of general coding principals, insurance
claims and billing process; HMO, PPO, TPA and commercial insurance types;
fee schedules and pricing.
- Well-developed understanding and/or hands on experience
with office processes, procedures and workflows.
- Knowledge of Compliance plan and auditing standards,
organization policies and procedures.
- Proficient in operating a standard desktop and Windows-based
computer system, including but not limited to, Microsoft Word and Excel,
Point, intranet and computer navigation.
Ability to use other software as required while performing the
essential functions of the job including EPM and EHR systems.
- Proficiency in planning, organizing and prioritizing
- Ability to develop and maintain effective professional
working relationships with all levels within IHA as well as outside
- Effective, professional communication skills, verbal,
written and during group presentations.
- Ability to coordinate activities and work independently
to complete projects in a timely manner requiring highly complex analysis.
- Works collaboratively in a team-oriented environment
demonstrating a courteous, professional and friendly demeanor.
- High level of organizational and time management skills
with ability to effectively juggle multiple priorities and time
constraints in a fast-paced environment.
- Exercise sound judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain any organizational information in a
- Successful completion of IHA competency-based program
within introductory and training period.
- Ability to work overtime hours as scheduled.