Long Island Plastic Surgical Group is seeking a Director of Billing and Collections to join our Garden City headquarters.
The Director of Billing and Collections will report to the Controller, and will oversee all personnel and operations related to payer reimbursement.
- Maintain knowledge of the operational details of all key positions in the business office—these include insurance claim processing and, insurance claim follow-up
- Work collaboratively with the Assistant Controller who will manage the authorization and patient pay portion of the revenue cycle
- Meet with staff weekly to discuss key issues, overall accounts receivable performance, and opportunities for improvement
- Train and oversee performance of staff
- Assist with recruitment, discipline, and termination of staff
- Review collector notes by user via Nextech
- Provide in-service to staff across departments regarding insurance requirements
- Monitor overall workload in the department, and distribute work accordingly; meet with collectors to review current collections projects
- Ensures proper coverage of billing and accounts receivable portfolios by staff in the case of vacations and sick days
- Seek, recommend and implement processes, procedures, technology and systems to improve operational efficiencies
- Meet with Executive Director and Controller monthly to analyze accounts receivable reports, days in receivable, and collection statistics by payer; prepares or presents data to physicians when asked; identify difficult payors, create and implement strategies to obtain timely collections
- Meet periodically with Billing and Collections Committee and Chair to keep physicians current on department status and projects
- Meet with physicians periodically to review accounts receivable status, trends and write offs
- Meet with Chair of Billing and Collections Committee and/or relevant physicians to review difficult claims
- Perform ad hoc and periodic billing reviews and audits to ensure timely and accurate processing of charges and payments within the practice
- Conduct detailed review of Explanation of Benefits forms from commercial and managed care payers at least quarterly; prepare or present results to physicians
- Initiate modifications of all procedural paperwork related to accounts receivable—encounter forms, billing screens, etc.
- Maintain practice fee schedule as well as CPT, ICD-10-CM, adjustment, payment, and payer files in the computer system
- Maintain carrier contract files and the Compliance Binder
- Facilitate completion all provider credentialing applications and reapplications as requested
- Attend specialty, Medicare, Medicaid and carrier updates and seminars annually and disseminate to staff and providers
- Maintain patient confidentiality by following the HIPAA Compliance Plan established by the practice; release PHI in accordance with the practice's HIPAA Compliance Plan, attend regular HIPAA training, maintain data security by refusing to share computer and other passwords, and report all identified and suspected HIPAA violations to the Privacy Officer
- Maintain the coding compliance standards set by the practice; understand the practice's Coding Compliance Plan, attend annual training, and report all identified and suspected coding compliance violations to the Compliance Officer
- Maintain detailed knowledge of practice management and other computer software as it relates to job functions
- Attend ASPS continuing education courses as requested
- Attend all meetings as requested
WHAT SKILLS ARE REQUIRED:
- Certified Coder and Bachelor’s degree in business or related field preferred
- 5+ years of Billing and Collections experience
- Knowledge of practice management and word processing software
- Proven managerial success in analyzing accounts receivable portfolio
- Proven success in managing a billing and collections staff
- Proven knowledge of CPT and ICD 9/10 CM coding
- Experience in/knowledge of plastic and reconstructive surgery preferred
- Understanding of managed care contractual arrangements
- Integral knowledge of the revenue cycle of a medical practice
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and to meet tight deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word) and patient accounting systems (Nextech preferred)
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 19 Days PTO, as well as 8 paid holidays
- 401(k) Match
- Annual bonuses based on performance evaluation
- Deep Blue Med Spa Employee Benefits Program (50% product discount, complimentary and discounted services, including injectables, etc.)
- Educational Development/Tuition Reimbursement
- Wellness programs (Employee Assistance Program, discounted gym memberships, discounted wireless phone services, etc.)
Long Island Plastic Surgical Group, P.C. (LIPSG) is the nation's largest private academic plastic surgery practice serving Long Island and the New York metro area. Established in 1948, LIPSG has treated over half a million patients and developed many of the region's specialty centers including microsurgery, burn surgery, wound care, facial reanimation, peripheral nerve reconstruction, and cleft care. LIPSG currently comprises 20 plastic surgeons.
In addition to offering a full spectrum of plastic surgery to our patients, we are also committed to supporting our community by meeting the need for reconstructive care. We host an annual Breast Cancer Summit to share patient resources with the community and provide an overview of the latest developments in breast cancer care and reconstruction. LIPSG doctors have provided life-altering surgeries including reattaching limbs, complex wound and burn management, and reconstructive cleft lip and palate surgeries, both in our local community and worldwide through their work with humanitarian aid organizations such as ReSurge International.
The surgeons at LIPSG also oversee Deep Blue Med Spa, which is a comprehensive medical spa focused on enhancing natural beauty and restoring a youthful look through skin rejuvenation and body treatments. From relaxing and results driven facials, to laser treatments and skin tightening, our highly skilled physician assistants and medical aestheticians offer services customized to individual needs. We also offer several medical grade skincare lines including our exclusive line, ProBLUEMD®, which enables our patients to take professional skincare home with them.
The size of LIPSG and its connections to the community have always, and continue to, set the group apart from other practices in the region. The continually expanding partnership of surgeons provides the full spectrum of plastic and reconstructive surgery that no one else in the community can offer.