|Employer:||Fairview Health Services
|Job Location:||Partial Remote
|Required Experience:||3 to 4 years
|Location:|| Saint Paul 55401, MN, US
This position is directly responsible for the oversight and management of the professional coding department. Responsibility includes all professional coding and emergency services. The Director of Professional Coding develops and implements coding plans to drive highly effective coding processes with strategies that evolve and remain contemporary to industry. Emergency Services coded by this department are set up on a single path coding model where both professional and facility services are processed by this team. Responsibility spans across the system and works collaboratively across the revenue cycle, services lines, and other business units.
Based in the Twin Cities Metro area, this position will require residency within proximity of the workplace. As this position offers some ability to telecommute, it is the expectation the following requirements of the remote work policy will be met, including but not limited to:
- Remote workspace that is clean, safe, and professional.
- Maintains an internet connection consistent with Fairview standards at remote workspace.
- Remain productive and responsive during their scheduled work hours.
- Attend primary Fairview location, as needed.
- Directs the operations of Professional Coding Services, assuring objectives, customers’ expectations, performance standards, and compliance requirements are met.
- Prepares annual departmental budget, monitors productivity and financial performance, and maintains departmental operations within budget. Assures processes are both efficient and effective.
- Responsible for managing appropriate staffing levels, productivity and quality efforts, employee engagement action plans, staff development, and succession planning.
- Demonstrates a leadership style that results in continuous improvement of processes, improved relationships with customers across the system, and alignment within the department and in partnership with other revenue cycle leaders and teams.
- Acts as an expert resource regarding coding and reimbursement requirements. Serves as a liaison between departments to ensure optimal service is provided.
- Works with IT and Reporting team members in developing useful tools and reports to create efficient and effective processes across the professional coding team.
- Stays abreast of coding and regulatory requirement updates, as well as industry trends and disruptors, to proactively educate and update impacted users and IT systems for efficient change management without gaps in quality.
- Demonstrates a commitment to operational excellence in day-to-day work as well as in long-term strategic goals for the professional coding department.
- Bachelor’s degree in Health Information Management, healthcare administration, business, or other similar related field
- Three years leadership experience in a professional coding department
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Coding Certificate (CPC, CCS-P)
- Master’s degree in Health Information Management or related field
- Five years leadership experience in a professional coding department