|Employer:||FIU - Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
|Required Experience:||5 to 7 years
Florida International University is recognized as a Carnegie engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers more than 180 bachelor's, master's and doctoral programs in fields such as engineering, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida's anchor institutions, FIU contributes $9.8 billion each year to the local economy. FIU is Worlds Ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission. FIU has awarded over 200,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and three centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell, FIU @ I-75, and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. FIU also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: the Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA and has over 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.
The Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine is currently seeking a Health Information Coder/Auditor to join our team of professionals.
- Reviews medical records and provider documentation for accuracy according to Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD10-CM) and Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) guidelines. Follows Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) guidelines and regulations.
- Assists in developing and conducting individual as well as group training for providers on the various aspects of documentation and coding.
- Assists in the preparation of written reports on audit findings and meets with clinicians to provide findings and coding training.
- Interacts with providers regarding coding rules, documentation policies, procedures and regulations. Obtains clarification of conflicting, ambiguous, or non-specific documentation.
- Adheres to confidentiality policies and procedures as well as Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act ((FERPA)/Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations.
- Ensures that all codes are current and active in the electronic medical records system (EMR).
- Serves as resource regarding insurance resolutions and coding questions.
- Reviews claims on hold by Claims Host Manager for coding accuracy on a daily basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed by the supervisor. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related.
Associates degree in Health Information Technology or equivalent and five (5) years of experience.
Certified Professional Coder
- Must be certified through American Academy of Professional Coders, (AAPC) or American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) as a Certified Professional Coder (CPC), Certified Coder Specialist-Physician (CCS-P) or Certified Coder Specialist (CCS).
- Maintains coding certification current.
- Associate Degree in Health Information Technology preferred.
- One (1) year experience with physician practice coding, with proficiency in Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD10-CM) coding, documentation, billing and reimbursement.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information or to apply, please visit us on-line at http://careers.fiu.edu and reference job opening ID 517207. Qualified applicants must submit a letter of interest accompanying their curriculum vitae with names and addresses of three professional references.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.