The University of Vermont Medical Center
**This position has the option of working remotely.**
The University of Vermont Medical Center is seeking a HIM Coder to join their team in Willison, VT.
• Applies knowledge of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology and pathology of disease processes while analyzing clinical documentation for inpatient and outpatient records for facility and/or professional services coding.
• May be assigned to work edit lists for accuracy of claims processing and data reporting.
• Applies knowledge of ICD-10 and CPT-4 nomenclatures and American Hospital Association, American Medical Association and applicable Federal and third party payer guidelines to accurately and compliantly determine principal and secondary ICD-10 diagnoses codes, principal and secondary ICD-10 procedure codes for all visits.
• Follows UVMMC compliance and HIM coding compliance policies and by maintaining financial goals and meeting or exceeding accuracy and productivity standards.
• Utilizes various electronic information systems to accomplish coding including, EPIC, 3M Coding and Reimbursement Systems, GE/HPA and BAR, TES, NCCI edit software, and other clinical documentation systems or reference systems as deemed appropriate. Must have knowledge of charge master and charge maintenance.
• Effectively communicates with and acts as a resource to health care providers, department managers and staff to resolve documentation, charge or other issues as they arise to ensure accuracy of coding and reimbursement.
• HIM Coder may be assigned other duties as deemed necessary by the HIM Supervisor and or HIM Manager.
• HIM Coder will adhere to the HIM Mission and Vision.
• All coders will continually seek to improve coding knowledge through various mediums including seminars, articles, networking, web access and other as available.
Minimum: High school diploma. College level Anatomy and Physiology and Medical Terminology required. Associate's degree or Bachelor's degree in Allied Health or HIM preferred. Must have certification in one of the following areas or obtain certification within two years of the date of hire: CCA, CCS, CPC, CPC-A, COC, CIC, RHIT or RHIA. Certified clinical documentation specialist or and RN with CCS, CPC, COC or CIC
Knowledge of current AMA and AHA Coding Guidelines, State and Federal Regulations, Professional Services and Compliance preferred. Preferred: Experience with 3M Coding and Reimbursement System, EPIC, GE or similar information management systems or electronic clinical documentation and billing systems. Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and Outlook and other databases or software systems
This is a bargaining union position.
The University of Vermont Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.