Under minimal supervision, plans, organizes, directs and/or controls all aspects pertaining to coding functions for assigned department’s internal and external customer service, human resources and financial management operations pertaining to areas including (but not limited to) records maintenance, data tracking, quality improvement, and certification. Acts as a liaison between the department and its customers and staff to ensure continuity and quality of service and care.
This position is considered Category IIA: Not required on campus and has the ability to telework remotely for the duration of the University of Utah’s response to COVID-19. An employee hired into this role will be responsible for providing space, telephone, printing, networking and/or internet capabilities at the telecommute location and agree to the terms of the University of Utah campus and Health Academics COVID-19 Telecommuting Agreement.
University of Utah Job ID# PRN26355B - 00209 - Univ Medical Billing - Oper
COMPENSATION: $91,000 - $99,000/year
WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time
1. HR Duties: Oversee department human resources management including recruitment and retention. Analysis of supervisor and staff competency including the development and/or presentation of educational programs and performance evaluations. Analysis to determine appropriate staffing levels to support departmental charge capture and coding needs.
2. Supervisory Duties: Coach supervisors and staff to develop leadership and professional development skills. Provide direction for supervisor to manage multiple deadlines. Supervises four supervisors, with an average of 7-9 employees reporting to each supervisor. Conducts semi-annual quality review and professional development meetings with supervisors and trainings supervisors to enhance the work product to be given to departmental contacts for continuing education.
3. Collaboration and Education: Work with departments and physicians regarding coding and documentation guidelines in accordance with current federal and institutional compliance policies. Present specialty specific coding and billing information to various departments within the institution. Coordinate and participate with UUHSC Compliance in educational and training programs to enhance the awareness of potential compliance issues.
4. Organization & Community Collaboration: Participate in institutional committees to establish consistent guidelines for coding and billing of medical services. Facilitate cooperative and collaborative inter-departmental and institutional interactions.
5. Processes & Reporting: Generate and evaluate variety of financial and coding reports to identify trends for educational opportunities, process improvements, and contracting negotiations. Develop and implement strategies to optimize cost with return on investment for process enhancement. Meet as part of the Executive Management team to discuss various budgetary items and make recommendations on appropriate cost expenditures. Analyze various processes across the department to determine FTE needs for appropriate staffing needs based on work volumes. Participate in the development and implementation of departmental and institutional policies and procedures.
6. Customer Needs & Satisfaction: Ensure customer satisfaction by reviewing complains, concerns and suggestions and ensuring appropriate follow through for providing quality services. Research and resolve inquiries from physicians and payers regarding appropriate billing and coding guidelines. Generate proposals to discuss with other managers and director for enhancing processes, policies and office procedures.
7. System Management: Management of the claim scrubbing software for billing offices and departments throughout the University of Utah Health Sciences Center (UUHCS). Continual creation and revision of the editing software for multiple departments to assist in the capture of additional dollars for the UUHSC, and its providers. Responsible for creating edits to improve billing of services.
8. Coding Knowledge: Abstract information from patient medical record to apply appropriate procedure and diagnosis codes in order to submit claims for reimbursement to insurance companies when needed. Review of physician documentation to verify that it meets with the federal guidelines for billing of services to third party payers.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education). Four to six years of progressively more responsible management experience. Background knowledge of hiring department’s area of specialization in order to analyze, plan and draw conclusions for recommendations to superiors. Demonstrated leadership skills in planning and directing employees and processes in order to effectively monitor and develop subordinates and to ensure the smooth operation of department. Master’s degree in a related area may be preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Intermediate to advance Excel skills.
Coding Knowledge/Skills prefer a minimum of 5 years in medical coding and billing and certification related to physician coding.
The duties of this position vary based on the business needs for University Medical Billing. Ability to handle impromptu meetings and discussions with School of Medicine physicians and departments and inter-office staff as necessary. Adaptability in an environment of constant change is necessary. This position also requires the ability to quickly identify what the current priority is for the success of UMB and all the departments that UMB serves.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/TDD), for further information or to request an accommodation. The University of Utah is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.