Lifecycle Womancare (LWC), also known as The Birth Center, is an independent nonprofit health care organization, in existence for 40 years. Its midwives, nurse-practitioners, nurses and skilled staff provide reproductive health care outpatient, birthing, and related services in a nurturing, home-like, family oriented setting. The Birth Center’s preeminent clinical services and education programs strengthen the health of childbearing persons, persons seeking gynecological care, and their families, empowering them to be active participants in health care decision-making throughout their lives.
LWC is a small and friendly organization that is mission-centric. There is an on-site Director of Finance who supervises this position. The office environment is pleasant and there is some opportunity for telework. The clients utilize private insurance (80%), with about 20% Medical Assistance.
The Medical Accounts Specialist is responsible for preparing and entering out-patient and in-patient billing, ensuring the accuracy of outpatient billing, and assisting with account reviews/account receivable / appeals follow up. In addition the employee will work occasionally to train the clinical providers in state-of-the art coding, in order to maximize revenue for the organization.
This position is 32-40 hours per week and is benefits eligible with the possibility of additional hours based on the needs of the organization. The benefits package is generous.
Medical Insurance verification
Facility/Provider billing, including
1. Performs billing functions utilizing an automated billing and accounts receivable system along with other software to aid with accounts receivable follow up; Components of the automated system includes patient registration, charge entry, payment posting, pre-collections, managed care enrollment and patient referral process
2. Evaluates medical data on patient chart to classify appropriate medical coding
3. Utilizes correct ICD-10 diagnosis codes, as well as HCPCS and CPT codes for diagnosis given and services completed.
Accounts Receivable follow up including:
1. Works accounts rejected or paid incorrectly by assigned payer(s) following the claim through the system and re-working, re-submitting claims working closely with our insurance clearinghouse.
2. Makes appeals, adjusts claims as necessary
3. Performs timely follow-up to avoid timely filing/appeals rejections
Stays current with policy and procedure updates/changes for assigned payer(s)
Provides training and coaching to clinical providers on an occasional basis in order to improves the quality of their initial coding and maximize reimbursement
Successful completion of an accredited Associates Degree in medical billing and coding or an accredited certificate program
3 or more years of experience in hospital or medical office billing required
Certification as a Certified Professional Coder (CPC) required, preference given to certification through the American Health Information Management (AHIMA), the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC), or the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
Certification as a Certified Outpatient Coder (COC) strongly preferred.
Willing to engage in an involved and team-focused workplace, including some staff meetings.
Participate in continuing education to stay up-to-date on coding standards, trends, and issues.
Proficient in MS Office, especially MS Excel
Ability to learn new systems
Possess strong communication and multi-tasking skills