|Employer:||University of Colorado Boulder
|Type:||PER DIEM, FULL TIME
|Preferred Certifications:||Medical Billing Certification
|Location:||3100 Marine St. 565 UCB,Boulder 80309, CO, US
CU Boulder Health & Wellness encourages applications for a Medical Billing Specialist! Under the direction of the Assistant Director for Billing & Coding, the Billing Specialist is responsible for the medical billing for patient services obtained by students in the Student Health Center.
This position completes billing claims accurately, completely, and timely in order to receive reimbursement for services. In collaboration with Administrative Services, the position collects clinical, demographic, and insurance data necessary to complete a claim. The Billing Specialist works closely with insurance companies, clearinghouse, and other outside entities to coordinate billing and reimbursement and to follow up on claims not paid and/or denied.
We are looking for someone who will provide excellent customer service for patients by answering questions about insurance processing or status of a claim. This includes, but is not limited to, assisting students with their questions and claims issues as well as reviewing, evaluating and updating claim payments reflected by the student insurance plan. The Billing Specialist will review medical records and charges and determine if it is necessary to contact insurance companies to discuss the type of plan the student has. An understanding of insurance terms as well as how to interpret an explanation of benefits (EOB) is essential for this role.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be:
- Complete and submits claims to insurance or payer utilizing Navicure software.
- Verify insurance eligibilities prior to completion to ensure claim acceptance, and verify completeness and accuracy of all claims prior to submission.
- Work closely with Administrative units and providers to collect data need for claim.
Manage Payment Accuracy
- Accurately post all insurance payments by line item.
- Work with the University Bursar office for assigned charges.
- Utilize monthly aging accounts receivable reports to follow up on unpaid claims according to billing cycle time frames.
- Correct errors made by payee or identified through clearing house.
- Read and interpret insurance explanation of benefits (EOB) related to student billing.
- Check insurance payments for accuracy and compliance with contracts.
- Work with payer regarding any discrepancy in payments if necessary.
- Follow up on insurance claim denials, exceptions, or exclusions.
- Contact insurance companies if claims are inaccurate and determine if claim can be reprocessed with additional information.
- Provide customer service to patients, insurance, and staff while following HIPAA guidelines when discussing payments/adjustments/denials.
- Assist patients and staff by educating them to insurance processes and requirements.
- Make necessary arrangements for medical records requests, completion of additional information requests, etc as requested by insurance companies.
- Confer with Assistant Director to discuss and resolve reimbursement issues or billing obstacles.