|Employer:||Johns Hopkins University
|Specialties:||Physical Medicine Rehabilitation, Interventional Radiology
|Required Experience:||3 to 4 years
|Preferred Experience:||3 to 4 years
|Location:||9910 Franklin Square Drive White Marsh 21236, MD, US
JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY
SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Clinical Practice Association
Physicians Billing Service
Position Title: Coding Specialist II Working Title:
Department: Clinical Practice Association/ Physicians Billing Service/ [Department]
Reports to: Department Manager
Level: 2 Role: ATO Salary Range: OF
Responsible for understanding all aspects of coding, quality assurance and compliance with Federal payer documentation guidelines. Works closely with departmental management and coordinates with Clinical Practice Association, Office of Billing Quality Assurance to include review of documentation.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all aspects of coding, quality assurance and compliance with Federal payer documentation guidelines.
- Works closely with Office of Billing Quality Assurance to include review of documentation.
- Serves as departmental expert on coding questions.
- Exercises independent judgment and decision making on a regular basis with respect to code selection.
- Holds bills and seeks corrective action for services not meeting documentation requirements in accordance with CPA policies.
- Researches and answers billing and documentation questions or problems submitted by faculty, department, billing staff, and others to ensure compliance with specific payer regulations and CPA policies and procedures.
- Supports department compliance efforts through participation in department training and education programs relative to specific product lines in accordance with established policies.
- Conducts feedback/training sessions for physicians to present the results of medical record documentation as warranted.
- Gathers and verifies all information required to produce a clean claim including special billing procedures that may be defined by a payer or contract.
- Maintains a system of billing accuracy through encounter verification i.e., clinic schedules, encounter forms, I/P consults, medical records.
- Review and resolve Epic Charge Review edits daily.
- May act as a back up to Charge Entry when needed.
- Pro Fee Tracking Database- May fill out missing information form and forward to the appropriate contact person.
- Comprehensive knowledge and compliance of HIPAA rules and regulations in the dissemination of patient Protected Health Information (PHI).
- Working knowledge of JHU/ Epic Billing Applications.
- Utilize online resources to facilitate efficient claims processing.
- Capable of advance problem solving in medical billing and coding.
Professional & Personal Development:
- Participate in on-going educational activities.
- Keep current of industry changes by reading assigned material on work related topics.
- Complete three days of training annually.
Department Specific Responsibilities:
- Must adhere to Service Excellence Standards.
- Customer Relations
- Continuous Performance Improvement
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Medical Terminology, Anatomy and Physiology courses or demonstrated appropriate knowledge.
- CPC Certification (or department approved certification). Experience
- Minimum three years coding experience with demonstrated analytical skills.
- Experience with Medicare regulations.
- Epic experience.
- Understanding of third party payer issues.
Minimum Skills & Abilities:
Able to operate basic office equipment, e.g. photo copier, fax machine, scanner, PC, telephone, etc.
Physical requirements for the job:
- Able to sit in a normal seated position for extended periods of time.
- Able to reach by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Finger dexterity required, able to manipulate objects with fingers rather than entire hand(s) or arm(s), e.g., use of computer keyboard.
- Able to communicate using the spoken and written word.
- Able to see within normal parameters and to hear within normal range.
- Able to move about.
- Able to lift minimum weight, 10 lbs.