|Skills:||Coding,Medical Record Documentation,Compliance,ICD-10 CM,CPT,Reporting
|Specialties:||Neurology,Otolaryngology,Surgery,Cancer Screening,PM&R,FCM,Medicine,SHP/Thompson,IM,Child Health,Hospitalist,Anesthesia,Psych,OB/GYN,Ophthalmology
|Required Certifications:||CCA or CCS or CPC or CPC-H
|Required Experience:||1 to 2 years
|Preferred Experience:||1 to 2 years
University Physicians is mid-Missouri’s largest multi-specialty group with more than 600 physicians. Our Professional Coding and Revenue team has over 60 both certified and non-certified coders to ensure the accurate billing of physician and ancillary services. Coders also review physician documentation for office visits, surgeries and other procedures to assign procedure, diagnosis and supply codes for insurance processing
Medical Coding Specialist or Medical Coding Specialist - Certified
- Provide assistance to faculty, residents and department staff in the standards of medical record documentation.
- Review clinical documentation and diagnostic results as appropriate to extract data and apply appropriate ICD-10 CM and CPT procedure codes for billing, internal and external reporting, research, and regulatory compliance.
- Interpret healthcare documentation in order to determine principal diagnosis and procedure.
- Screen medical records for all diagnoses and procedures; assign codes for diagnoses, treatments, and procedures according to the appropriate classification system for inpatient, outpatient and professional encounters to assure appropriate reimbursement is billed.
- Coordinate all aspects of professional and technical billings/collections with appropriate departments within the university system and outside agencies; i.e., Medical Records, Practice Plan, Hospital Admissions, outside hospitals, insurance companies, and state and federal agencies.
- Requires a minimum of one year of medical records coding experience related to patient records using ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-PCS and the CPT-4 coding systems.
- A medical records coding certificate (see below) or degree in Health Information Management or a related field can substitute for the one year experience requirement.
- An active/current certification in one of the following areas is preferred, and will substitute for the one year experience requirement: Certified Coding Associate (CCA) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) Hospital Coding or Certified Professional Coder (CPC) or Certified Professional Coder Hospital (CPC-H)
- Salary Range - Medical Coder - $16.19 - $24.32/hour
- Salary Range - Medical Coder (Certified) $18.59 - $27.95/hour
- Compensation will be determined by the final Candidate's qualifications
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, paid time off, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America.