|Employer:||Mednax Services, Inc.
|Specialties:||Peds Surgery, Peds Cardi, OBGYN, MFM
|Required Certifications:||CPC or CCS-P
|Preferred Certifications:||CPC or CCS-P
|Required Experience:||3 to 4 years
|Preferred Experience:||5 to 7 years
|Location:|| Sunrise 33323, FL, US* Note: This listing is for a remote position
Mednax Services, Inc. is a national medical group. Over the last 40 years, through our network of over 3,500 clinicians in 39 states and Puerto Rico, we have reshaped care delivery within women's and children's specialties and subspecialties. Our clinical teams care for the unique population of high-risk pregnancies and critically ill infants and children in both hospital and ambulatory clinical settings. Over the years, clinicians practicing as part of Pediatrix and Obstetrix Medical Groups have used evidence-based tools, continuous quality initiatives, clinical research, and telemedicine to enhance patient experience, outcomes and provide high-quality, cost-effective patient care. Our nationwide team of almost 8,000 employees, including physicians, advanced practitioners, clinical leaders, business and operational experts who work together every day to fulfill our mission to take great care of the patient®. We invite you to join the Mednax family and help shape the future of health care.
Under the direct supervision of the Medical Coding Manager the Coding Specialist is responsible for coordinating and participating in the coding of pertinent medical information from a variety of complex records and coding edits to include diagnosis, treatment of illness and procedures performed while ensuring accuracy of work adherence to established coding procedures of ICD-CM (International Classification of Diseases) and CPT-4 (Current Procedural Terminology). Applications utilized are: Excel, Word, Outlook, various EHR and billing applications.
- Reviewing all pertinent medical records for diagnosis and procedures performed and documented while maintaining strict adherence to MEDNAX Compliance program guidelines.
- Timely and appropriate coding of Pediatric Surgery, Pediatric Cardiology, Perinatology, and Developmental services as required to meet production needs.
- Participation in the coding and billing process by entering and/or verifying all valid diagnoses, procedure codes and modifiers discovered upon medical review of records via Claims Manager reports.
- Communicate to physicians by Electronic Mail all discrepancies in coding based on the medical record reviewed.
- Review claim denials
- Research and review with Patient Account associates for clarification of third party payer queries.
- Participates in audit, education and coding team meetings to discuss solutions to coding guidance
- Meet or exceed required departmental productivity standards on a consistent basis.
- Performs a variety of other Coding Compliance duties as needed.
- Maintain strict confidentiality in accordance with HIPAA regulations and Company policy.
- Presents a positive, professional appearance and conveys a professional demeanor in the performance of assigned duties.
- Performs other job-related duties within the job scope as requested by Management of Coding.
- Embodies the principles of the corporate Mission Statement and Philosophy at all times.
- Complies with departmental and company-wide policies and procedures.
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) or Certified Coding Specialist – Physician (CCS-P) designation required with current active status.
- Clinical background or minimum of three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred in addition to certification
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and communicate them to physicians, coders, and other staff in a way that facilitates understanding.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the associate a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.