Senior Business Services Assistant
Summary of Position
Responsible for electronic and manual claims submissions utilizing ICD-10, HCPCS and CPT coding, aging analysis, denied claims resolution, tracking and reporting insurance issues and their resolutions.
May also provide billing and coding support, reconcile accounts and statements, complete chart audits, and produce internal reports from the electronic health record system (Point and Click).
- Ensure accurate and compliant charge capture; review charge capture edits for missed charged opportunities, overcharges, and duplicate charges.
- Assign appropriate ICD-10 & CPT-4 procedure/diagnosis codes and HPCPS procedure codes and updates electronic health record system appropriately.
- Follow department policies and procedures and regulatory mandates related to claim submission and account follow-up.
- Manage claim files, work lists, and reports to meet department goals.
- Perform research and analysis to identify internal or external barriers to claims submission and account follow-up.
- Acquire technical proficiency and apply computer skills across multiple applications.
- Independently research and accurately resolve insurance denials.
- Audit provider documentation to ensure compliance with documentation and coding guidelines.
- Seek clarification from providers and clinicians when documentation is missing or contradictory.
- Maintain reference material on coding problems, updates, or clarifications.
- Maintain/prepare training documentation and communicate with staff to prevent recurrence of errors or to increase efficiency by changing work-flow.
- Prepare and maintain student athlete billing ledger, coordinating between primary and secondary insurance and the athletic department.
- Initiate communication and correspondence with service providers, vendors, insurance companies, healthcare providers, students, faculty/staff and parents while adhering to privacy regulations for protected health information.
Acceptable Minimum Qualifications: Associate's
Acceptable Minimum Years of Experience-1 year
Other Minimum Qualifications
- Coding certification.
- Thorough knowledge of ICD-10, CPT-4 and HCPCS coding and classification systems.
- Thorough knowledge and adherence to HIPAA and confidentiality.
- Insurance knowledge including coding experience in a clinical setting, charge entry, insurance appeals, familiarity with multiple insurances and their medical policies.
- Self-motivated to analyze, investigate, and problem solve multiple issues concurrently.
- Demonstrated competence with responsibilities related to improving organizational performance and coding/billing requirements.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective computer application skills (Windows 10, Excel, Word, Medical Records Systems).
- Attention to detail; proficient and accurate data entry skills and ability to enter data into medical billing software.
- Ability to multitask accessing multiple databases and sites at the same time.
- Ability to work within deadlines and time constraints.
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work in multiple situations.
- Ability to work within a team setting and participate in accomplishing department goals.
- Salary is complemented by a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, retirement, tuition, and paid time off.
The University of New Hampshire is an R1 Carnegie classification research institution providing comprehensive, high-quality undergraduate and graduate programs of distinction. UNH is located in Durham on a 188-acre campus, 60 miles north of Boston and 8 miles from the Atlantic coast, and is convenient to New Hampshire’s lakes and mountains. There is a student enrollment of 13,000 students, with a full-time faculty of over 600, offering 90 undergraduate and more than 70 graduate programs. The University actively promotes a dynamic learning environment in which qualified individuals of differing perspectives, life experiences, and cultural backgrounds pursue academic goals with mutual respect and shared inquiry.
The UNH Diversity Resource Guide with information and programming available in the seacoast area, New Hampshire and the region can be found here: https://www.unh.edu/hr/diversity-resource-guide
To view description and apply, visit https://jobs.usnh.edu/postings/40427
The University System of New Hampshire is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action employer. The University System is committed to creating an environment that values and supports diversity and inclusiveness across our campus communities and encourages applications from qualified individuals who will help us achieve this mission. The University System prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or marital status, genetic information, and political orientation. Application by members of all underrepresented groups is encouraged. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the U.S.