Coding Supervisor’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the
oversight and management of day-to-day activities of outpatient clinic and
provider coding areas for professional and/or facility billing. This position
oversees employee productivity, quality of work, and attendance. This position
ensures that relevant policies, procedures, and laws are followed and may
assist in the review and development of departmental policies and procedures.
University of Utah Job ID# PRN20919B-
00209 - Univ Medical Billing - Oper
COMPENSATION: $28.00 to $32.00/hour
1. Directs, supervises, and evaluates the work activities of coding personnel.
2. Prioritizes daily work activities, evaluates outcomes, and recommends
appropriate changes to the manager.
3. Serves as a resource to identify, research, and resolve problems and
4. Establishes work schedules and assignments for staff, according to workload,
space and equipment availability.
5. Assists in the recruitment and hiring of personnel.
6. Directs and manages employee training.
7. Monitors work quality and employee productivity to ensure adherence to
8. Reviews, analyzes, and reports on activities and data to improve service
9. Accesses and researches coding related databases to obtain coding and
10. Facilitates educational meetings, internal and external.
11. Communicates information from meetings regarding provider concerns/reviews
to coding staff.
12. Performs the duties of Coder levels I, II, and III as needed.
13. May assist in the review and development of departmental policies and
14. May participate in employee performance evaluations.
in this position should be able to analyze information and evaluate results to
choose the best solution and solve problems.
job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive
inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of
employees assigned to the job.
Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Continuously: Office environment.
Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Bending, reaching overhead.
Position requires American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) or
American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) recognized certification such
as: Certified Professional Coder (CPC), Certified Professional Coder-Hospital (CPC-H),
Certified Professional Coder-Payor (CPC-P), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS),
Certified Coding Specialist–Physician Based (CCS- P), Registered Health
Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT),
or other specialty certification indicated by the department. Departments may
prefer specific certifications over others.
Three years coding,
clinical or billing experience and three years of progressively responsible
supervisory experience or equivalency required.
Demonstrated knowledge of
clinical documentation requirements related to regulatory and reimbursement
rules and regulations, reimbursement systems (federal, state and payer
specific), and health insurance processing is required. Proficiency with
computer software such as Microsoft Word and Excel, and effective human
relations and communication skills are also required. Some areas may require
knowledge of CMS, AMA and AHA coding and billing
Incumbents in this
position must maintain their Continuing Education Credits (CEUs) as required by
the issuing coding organization.
must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of
the job as outlined in the position description.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE THROUGH THE
UNIVERSITY OF UTAH SYSTEM TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS JOB:
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The
University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request,
reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to
individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity
and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/TDD),
for further information or to request an accommodation. The University of Utah
is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged